Sat, Apr 16|
Courses: Classic (White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Red) / Setter: Jeff Brucker (Alan Craig as Vetter) / Director: Cristina Luis / Image: Max Suter
Time & Location
Apr 16, 2022, 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Box Canyon, Santa Rita Mountains
About the Event
Location: Box Canyon is in the eastern foothills of the Santa Rita Mountains. It is about a one-hour drive from Tucson on paved and all-weather roads.
Courses: There will be five classic point-to-point courses. To complete a point-to-point course, you must visit all controls in the correct sequence.
- White (1.1 km, 30 meters climb) This course is for beginners. It is completely along trails and fences. Older kids who can read a trail map can do it alone. Young kids can do this course with an adult. It can be walked in about 30 minutes.
- Yellow (2.3 km, 50 meters climb) This course is for novice adults or teens who have a basic understanding of maps. It is mostly on or near trails. It can be walked in about 60 minutes.
- Orange (3.5 km, 100 meters climb) This course is for adults or older teens who have intermediate map-reading skills and are physically fit. It will have a mixture of trail and intermediate off-trail routes. It can be walked in about 120 minutes.
- Green (4.5 km, 170 meters climb) This is an advanced course.
- Red (6.2 km, 210 meters climb) This is an advanced course.
Explorer Course: All those who do not complete their course, for whatever reason, will be automatically switched to the “Explorer Course” and will get 1 point for each control visited.
Group Training Walk: We will hold a special group training open to anyone who has registered for the yellow course. The group will walk slowly and focus on interpreting contour lines and other map features, while also discussing other navigation topics. We will start about 9am and it will take about 120 minutes to complete the yellow course. If you want to do the group training, pre-register for Yellow and arrive by 8:30 so you can check-in.
Maps: Full color maps will be provided to all participants at the event site.
- 8:00-9:00 -- Check in.
- 8:15 -- First chance to start.
- 9:30 -- Last chance to start.
- 12:30 -- Courses close.
Registration: Pre-registration is required in order to keep an eye on crowd size and prepare the right number of maps. Everyone must register as an individual even if you plan on going as a team. See who has already signed up. Registration closes at noon on Friday April 15.
Please Help Out! In addition to participating as a registered entrant, please consider signing up as a volunteer to help out at this event. Available volunteer slots are 45 and 60 minutes in length.
- Adults: $8 (member), $12 (non-member)
- Juniors: (11-20): $6
- Kids: (0-10): free w/adult
- E-punch rental $2 (required unless you have your own) This event uses e-punching for timing and punch verification. We'll show you how to use it if you've never done it before.
Coupon Codes to use at Registration:
- "AZClub" for adult members of TSN (Tucson) or GPHXO (Phoenix)
- "Junior" for juniors 11-20.
- "KID" for children 10 and under (please register even though it's free—we need a headcount and a waiver for each participant).
Directions and Parking: From Tucson take I10 East to Exit281. Take Hwy83 south 18 miles to Greaterville Rd. There will be road signs from Hwy 83. Go west 3 miles to Box Canyon Rd. Go north 1 mile to the AZ trail crossing.
Waypoint: 31.793764406796868, -110.74691625785854. Location Map
What to Bring:
- Safety whistle is required (whistles can be purchased on site for $1)
- Compass (compass can be rented on site for $1)
- Water (and snacks if desired)
- Watch or phone (so you can finish on time)
- E-punch stick (bring yours or rent one from us for $2)
Youth Participants: All participants under 18 must provide a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian. If you plan to bring a minor without their parent/guardian, then please download a copy of the Waiver and Permission to Participate form and have it completed and signed by a parent/guardian before you bring it with you to the event. For more details, see our instructions sheet.
Covid Safety: Please wear a mask during check-in before and after your run and any time you are unable to keep distance from other people. Do not show up if you are feeling unwell.
Other Safety Information: To ensure that all are safe, everyone, whether finished with the course or not, must check in formally at Start/Finish before courses close and before leaving the event site.